Navigation X
ALERT
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

cracked.io | Best Forum Around | Free Premium Accounts

Do I owe my players anything?

by wadde - 07 March, 2024 - 02:49 PM
This post is by a banned member (wadde) - Unhide
wadde  
Registered
Threads
I have had a 5e group playing on Discord and Roll20 for about four years now - I've had fun, and they've said they've had fun. For various reasons, I am done with 5e and am planning on switching to OSE... but we are in the middle of a campaign. Most of my players started playing with 5e, so they have no experience with other systems. My general plan is to try and finish the campaign (there is an end goal) by the end of the year, and then cut over to OSE in January.

I am planning on bringing this up to the group soon, but my general feeling is that they will (mostly) not be interested in switching - character death and the loss of all the shiny level-up powers would not make them happy.

I feel bad for changing direction halfway through a big campaign, but likewise, I honestly hate 5e more every time I play it now.

Do I owe it to my players to finish it, or does my plan sound fair enough? Should I just discuss it with them and make the break sooner?
This post is by a banned member (wadde) - Unhide
wadde  
Registered
Threads
(07 March, 2024 - 02:49 PM)wadde Wrote: Show More
I have had a 5e group playing on Discord and Roll20 for about four years now - I've had fun, and they've said they've had fun. For various reasons, I am done with 5e and am planning on switching to OSE... but we are in the middle of a campaign. Most of my players started playing with 5e, so they have no experience with other systems. My general plan is to try and finish the campaign (there is an end goal) by the end of the year, and then cut over to OSE in January.

I am planning on bringing this up to the group soon, but my general feeling is that they will (mostly) not be interested in switching - character death and the loss of all the shiny level-up powers would not make them happy.

I feel bad for changing direction halfway through a big campaign, but likewise, I honestly hate 5e more every time I play it now.
 <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://vlc.onl/  
Do I owe it to my players to finish it, or does my plan sound fair enough? Should I just discuss it with them and make the break sooner?

I got this,...
This post is by a banned member (LarmanKhemka) - Unhide
Threads
It's understandable that you've come to a point of wanting to switch from D&D 5e to OSE after playing for four years. Your commitment to providing an enjoyable gaming experience for your group is commendable. While it's important to consider your players' preferences, ultimately, the decision rests with you as the Dungeon Master. It's reasonable to discuss your intentions with your group and gauge their reactions. You might find that some are open to the change, while others may need more convincing. Considering your plan to finish the current campaign before transitioning to OSE in January, it demonstrates a fair compromise. However, open communication with your players is key. Addressing their concerns and finding ways to make the transition smoother, such as providing support in learning the new system, could help alleviate any hesitations they may have. Ultimately, prioritizing your own enjoyment as the DM is important for sustaining your passion koows echat for the game in the long run.