Navigation X
ALERT
Click here to register with a few steps and explore all our cool stuff we have to offer!

cracked.io | Best Forum Around | Free Premium Accounts

How to stop smoking? (Cigarettes)

by Goba - 05 November, 2019 - 07:48 PM
This post is by a banned member (Goba) - Unhide
Goba  
Contributor
Threads
4 Years of service
Hello there, have you stopped smoking? I want to know how you did it, i have tried vapes, pod systems, iqos, chewing gum..
I started this bad habbit of mine a few years ago when friends called me in..
Please give me some tips, thanks! :fuck:
[Image: giphy.gif]
Hey! I`m trying to reach GODLIKE please leave a like
And +rep me:)
This post is by a banned member (God) - Unhide
God  
Heaven
Threads
4 Years of service
(This post was last modified: 05 November, 2019 - 07:50 PM by God.)
Step 1: Make the Decision to Quit
Identify your reasons for quitting smoking. Quitting is challenging. You can rise to the challenge, but it helps if you have your goals in mind. Review your mental list as you approach your quit date.

If you have tried to quit smoking before and failed, don’t let that be an obstacle. The more times you try to quit, the greater your chance of success. Maybe you weren’t ready last time. Maybe you didn’t take the rights steps.

Step 2: Understand Your High-Risk Times
Smoking is more than just a physical addiction to nicotine. It is also a psychological addiction. Why do you smoke? Is it a break from your hectic day? Is it a moment of peace when you can be alone with your thoughts? Most people smoke for the same reasons alcoholics drink. It’s a chance to escape, relax, or reward yourself.

Anticipate your high-risk situations and plan for them. This will help you deal with them better. Here are some common triggers for smoking cravings:

Drinking coffee
Finishing a meal
Driving your car
Using the phone
Stressful situations
Drinking alcohol
Social events
These are some strategies for dealing with your triggers:

If you smoke with your morning coffee, plan to have your first coffee at work where you probably can’t smoke.
If you smoke while driving, plan to take a different route. It will keep your mind occupied, so that you won’t be on autopilot.
If you smoke after meals, plan to get up after a meal. Go for a walk, brush your teeth, do something.
If you smoke when you’re on the phone, put one of those stress balls next to your phone to keep your hands occupied.
Plan to keep yourself busy in the beginning. Too much unstructured time is not a good thing when it comes to smoking cessation.
What should you do if you slip? A slip is also a high risk time. You don’t need to slip. Many people have quit without a slip. But if you do, it’s good to have a plan.

The most important thing you can do is avoid all or nothing thinking. Don’t give up and let a slip turn into a major relapse.
Throw out the rest of the pack.
You’re not a failure if you slip.
The more times you try to quit, the greater your chance of success.
Learn from your experience. What you could have done differently.
Never forget your reasons for quitting in the first place.
Step 3: Stock Up on Supplies
Every smoker understands that smoking is also an oral addiction. When you quit smoking your brain will still crave the oral sensation of a cigarette. As part of your smoking cessation plan, stock up on oral substitutes like gum, raw vegetables, carrot sticks, hard candy, coffee stirrers, straws, etc.

If you’re planning to use nicotine replacement or smoking cessation drugs talk to your doctor at this point. Learn how to use them. Find out about potential side effects and what to look out for.

Step 4: Pick a Quit Date
A quit date is a personal commitment. It is important because it prepares your mind subconsciously. Pick a date within the next month. It doesn’t have to be a special day.

Avoid a day when you know you’ll be busy, tense, or have a special event that could be a trigger. Write down your quit date somewhere, and look at it every day. Let your determination build as you get closer.

If you are going to use smoking cessation medication like Zyban (Wellbutrin, bupropion) or Chantix (Champix, varenicline), your doctor may have suggested that you start using them now. Ask your doctor how far ahead of your quit date you should start taking your pills.

Step 5: Let People Know
Quitting is easier with support. Choose people who you think will be helpful. Tell them your plan and how they can help. Also tell them how they cannot help.

Friends can help distract you.
They can listen to you.
Sharing your struggles makes them lighter.
But explain that you want to keep your conversations light. Nothing serious that will add to your tension.
Step 6: Remove All Smoking Reminders
Smoking like any addiction is triggered by people, places, and things. For other addictions, the objects that are triggers are usually drug paraphernalia. In this case the paraphernalia include cigarettes, matches, lighters, and ashtrays. Get rid of all of them. Don't save anything “just in case.”

Freshen your environment at home, work‚ and in your car. The smell of cigarettes is definitely a trigger, especially in the beginning.

Step 7: The First 2 Weeks
The first two weeks are critical for your success. If you can get though the first two weeks your chance of success is much higher.(3) Therefore it is important to give yourself the best chance you can during these critical weeks.

The first two weeks are all about distractions, keeping busy, and being good to yourself. Keep busy with fun, low stress activities and avoid high stress ones.

Stay Busy
Plan lots of dates with friends. Get out of the house. Go for walks, bike rides, or go to the gym. Go to a movie. Be good to yourself.
Keep your hands busy. Some people like to use a pen, a straw or a coffee stirrer.
Drink lots of water.
Call the people who have offered to help. Everyone understands how difficult this is. People will be happy that you’re doing it. Don’t try to do it alone.
If you just sit there with your cravings, you are giving them room to grow.
Relax and breathe deeply.
Avoid High Risk Situations
Don’t hang out with smokers. That’s like a crack addict hanging out with crack addicts. No matter how friendly and supportive your smoking friends are, they are still a high risk environment for at least the first several months.
Practice saying, “No thank you, I don’t smoke anymore.”
Understand that you will encounter high risk situations that you haven’t thought of. If you find yourself triggered, plan to get up and leave quickly.
A change of scenery can make all the difference.
Talk to Yourself
Most cravings only last 10 - 20 minutes. Distract yourself, and the cravings will pass. When you think about using, talk to yourself and keep yourself busy.
“I refuse to believe that smoking is more powerful than me.”
“I won’t give smoking any more power over my life.”
“I chose to be a non-smoker.”
“One day at a time.”
Step 8: Maintenance and Coping Strategies
Quit smoking one day at a time. Don't think about quitting forever. That can be overwhelming. Deal with right now, and the days will start to add up.

Self-care
Be good to yourself. This is probably the most important and undervalued coping strategy in quitting smoking. It is one of the most difficult things for anyone to do, especially someone with an addiction.

Your tendency will be to not reward yourself while you’re quitting. You’ll think that you don’t deserve it yet. You will think that you only deserve a reward once you have had a long stretch of not smoking. But that’s old thinking. This is your opportunity to learn better coping strategies.

How you can be good to yourself is different for everyone. Pursue new ways of rewarding yourself the same way you pursued your addiction. You are learning new thinking patterns that will be helpful in the rest of your life.

Don't try to diet while quitting smoking. Too much deprivation is bound to backfire. Instead, try eating more fruits and vegetables.

Celebrate Your Victories
Don’t focus on your struggles and ignore your successes. You probably tend to disqualify the positives and focus on the negatives. But don’t underestimate how far you have come. Reinforce your victories.

Take the money you’ve saved and buy yourself a treat once a week. Or save the money for something bigger like a trip.
Plan ahead for your milestones and make sure you recognize them with some celebration, big or small.
Rewards don’t have to be financial. You could plan to get together with your friends and do something.
Stress Management
Get plenty of rest and eat healthy. Lack of sleep and excessive sugar are known triggers.
Use substitutes for oral cravings like gum, raw vegetables, carrot sticks, hard candy, coffee stirrers, straws.
Stress is a big trigger for smoking.
Relax by taking a few slow, deep breaths. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Repeat it 5 times and see how you feel.
Maintenance
When you have cravings, think of how strong you have been so far.
Remember your reasons for quitting.
Refuse to let your addiction win.
Think of the benefits to your health, finances, and family.
Remind yourself that there is no such thing as just one cigarette.
Start to see yourself as a non-smoker. That is the ultimate payoff. You are freeing yourself from the control of your addiction. @Goba
This post is by a banned member (Duncan Idaho) - Unhide
Threads
4 Years of service
Stop buying anything with nicotine in it, a week later you'll be fine.
This post is by a banned member (Levathian) - Unhide
Levathian  
Registered
Threads
5 Years of service
(05 November, 2019 - 07:48 PM)Goba Wrote: Show More
Hello there, have you stopped smoking? I want to know how you did it, i have tried vapes, pod systems, iqos, chewing gum..
I started this bad habbit of mine a few years ago when friends called me in..
Please give me some tips, thanks! :fuck:

Workout?
This post is by a banned member (jeans2409) - Unhide
jeans2409  
Infinity
Threads
4 Years of service
What helped me to quit smoking was to buy e-cigs which were shaped like cigarettes themselves.

The novelty of smoking a cigarette is still there without the harmful effects.

Overtime gradually reduce the nicotine levels in the liquids you buy and make sure to chose either tobacco/menthol flavours to keep authenticity.

Good luck!
This post is by a banned member (Gxdsey) - Unhide
Gxdsey  
Registered
Threads
4 Years of service
Mentioned in the first reply, my best advice to you would be to remain busy! Start exploring new hobbies, put yourself in situations and/or settings that don't allow you to smoke. Other than that, I'd maybe attempt to switch over to vaping again; then begin to ease off by using lower amounts of nicotine. If you'd like a similar buzz to ciggies, check out Nic Salt Juices. Same shit that's used in a Juul. 3rd piece of advice... be real with yourself, tell yourself you gotta get your shit together & go cold turkey. Yeah it's gonna fuckin suck, but you do what you gotta do in order to make a change in your life.

Good luck! You got it man
This post is by a banned member (Duncan Idaho) - Unhide
Threads
4 Years of service
(06 November, 2019 - 06:11 AM)Gxdsey Wrote: Show More
be real with yourself, tell yourself you gotta get your shit together & go cold turkey. Yeah it's gonna fuckin suck, but you do what you gotta do in order to make a change in your life.

Good luck! You got it man

The only answer you should care about OP. "Go cold turkey" E-cigs, vapes, all that shit will just make your more addicted.
This post is by a banned member (Bos22) - Unhide
Bos22  
Registered
Threads
4 Years of service
Hi mate, I tried patches, gum and tablets (UK Champix) in the end these all failed, though the tablets worked for 18months. I ended up reading books by Allen Carr, (widely available PDF’s) These worked! I’ve stopped for 4 years. I was really doubtful about this, but they also worked for 2  mates who were long term smokers too. HTH