(This post was last modified: 05 September, 2023 - 11:35 PM by patangera. Edited 1 time in total.)
I was having this thought earlier with discussions about genre names and thought about this.
What counts as an rpg game? To me an rpg game is well, an rpg game. Games like cyberpunk 2077, the witcher 3, kingdom come deliverance etc.
But what about games like nier automata? I don't count these as rpgs. To me nier is a hack n slash with rpg elements (With the exception of plug in chips nier's rpg elements are meaningless fluff)
The reason I mention this however is that for a while it seems like rpg's have been in a slump. Last gen was not a good gen for rpg's. I can count only a handful of them and even then maybe a few are actually good<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://xender.vip/.
I feel like part of the reason for this is accessibility. Games like divinity are textbook definition of rpgs. But they have a high skill barrier and can be very hard to get into. Even games last gen like fallout 3 and fallout new vegas were hard for some people to understand (honestly how I don't know but somehow people manage to fuck up an rpg as simple as fallout 3)
Makes me wonder about games having all these tacked on rpg mechanics (god of war 2018) these aren't bad games by any measure it just feels like padding.
I dunno, i'm just rambling. Do you think of some the above games as rpgs or games with rpg mechanics?

Upvote3Downvote